Since its establishment in Canberra, the BIC has embodied a moving people vision and strategy to foster better public transport outcomes and planning for ‘liveable’ cities and regions. Through this focus, the BIC has become well-regarded as the lead organisation for consultation on public transport and people movement, across federal and state and territory governments and the jurisdictions. A significant part of the BIC’s mandate is also to represent bus and coach manufacturers and suppliers on national policy and regulation issues with the National Transport Commission (NTC), the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) and various federal working groups such as the Strategic Vehicle Standards and Environment Group and the Technical Liaison Group.
Our vision is to enhance the sustainability and liveability of Australia’s cities and regions by moving people using bus and coach transportation. We aim to do this by representing the collective interests of our members and to assist them in promoting the safety, efficiency and effectiveness of bus and coach transport in Australia.
Our Moving People Objectives
- Encourage investment in public transport infrastructure and services.
- Promote policies and actions that are environmentally responsible.
- Promote the development of a viable and improved bus and coach industry in Australia.
- Foster and promote a viable bus and coach manufacturing industry.
- Protect the business interests of operators, manufacturers and suppliers.
- Promote public understanding of the contribution made by the bus and coach industry to Australia’s economy, society and environment.
- Ensure the accessibility and mobility needs of Australian’s are met, regardless of where they live or their circumstances.
- Promote the use of public transport as a viable alternative to the car.
- Coordinate and make more effective existing federal, state and local government policies and programs that relate to passenger transport.
- Ensure that buses and coaches operate safely and effectively.